Thursday, June 22, 2017

Life changing year

I told you this would be a life changing year, in any sense you can imagine. Indeed, somehow it included a MBA, a new house, a wedding, and... a new job!

Over 30 conversations and interviews later, pretty much with all relevant firms in Portugal, a few mentors, and two headhunters, I came to accept an offer to be part of the Strategic Planning team at José de Mello Saúde (JMS).

Most of the firms I talked to did not have open positions at the moment, some were not the right fit for me, and others took forever to go through my recruitment process. In the last stage of this process, I was between Strategic Planning at JMS, M&A and Business Development at EDP, Business Development for Entertainment at NOS, and M&A at Semapa, in this order. All options were strong in different ways: JMS plays in the sector that is growing the most, EDP is the most solid firm, NOS is certainly more dynamic, and Semapa has cool projects on its mind.

José de Mello Saúde was the first one to make me an offer (and a pretty good one). On top of that, I like the sector and am quite interested in learning about healthcare, eventually to share some knowledge with Gorda (and his family business) in the future. Finally, I like everyone I met in the firm, and I have heard great things about my future boss.

The toughest parts of the entire recruitment thing were i) managing all the processes and relationships well, without closing any door or leaving any bad impression, and ii) quitting from BCG. I talked to Miguel Abecasis (the BCG partner I am closer to) on Monday. He kindly tried to convince me to stay, but was nice enough to understand my position. I then sent a goodbye e-mail to everyone else yesterday, and received lots of love from everyone since then.

New life ahead, y'all... And now it is time to enjoy the bride life.




The official e-mail announcing I'm leaving BCG:


No comments:

Post a Comment